• CC

Policy change to Non Imm O-A (Long stay) ‘retirement visa’ allows foreigners to self insure

A change in policy regarding the insurance requirements for the Non-Immigrant “O-A” (Long Stay) visa states that foreigners are now able to self insure

A Non-Immigrant “O-A” (Long Stay) visa is typically obtained from a Thai Embassy or Consulate overseas and should not be confused with the annual retirement extension (often erroneously referred to as a ‘retirement visa’), which is obtained an immigration office in Thailand.

Applicants for a Non-Immigrant “O-A” (Long Stay) visa must be 50 years or over and be able to show funds totalling 800,000 baht.

Previously, foreigners who applied for a Non Imm O-A (Long stay) visa were required to have insurance which provided inpatient cover up to 400,000 baht.

However, from October 1, the compulsory insurance requirement was increased from 400,000 baht to 3 million baht (or USD$100,000).